Monday, July 12, 2010

Handling Stress as a Mom

This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Crystal Light.





I am a mom to a 5 year old who is very sensitive and tenderhearted.
I am a mom to a 3 year old who is very independent and opinionated.
I am a mom to a 2 year old who is very (and I mean EXTREMELY) ear piercingly screechy and unable to speak many words.
I am a mom to a 3 month old who just NEEDS me.

I am pulled in all directions: north, south, east, and west.  This is not to mention that my husband needs me, my house needs me, my job needs me, and my friends and extended family need me.  (I could go on, but I will spare you)

So are we talking about stress.
Stress? 
What stress?
Even if I am in the midst of denying it, I still need to do something with it.

Taking time for myself seems to be a luxury that I am not necessarily gauranteed.  Sometimes I read while I'm nursing my baby. Sometimes I exercise--with my baby strapped to me or by myself.  Sometimes I call my mom in the midst of the chaos.   Sometimes I pray and study my Bible.  Sometimes I load up all the kids for a play date with one of my best friends and her kids.  While the kids are playing, then we sneak an ice cream sundae or do a Crystal Light taste test; anything to make us giggle and relax.



I am learning that comfort foods do NOT help me to manage the stress.  In fact, they make me feel worse just by ingesting the extra calories.  So I find it much easier to handle stress if I'm eating healthy, staying hydrated,  and trying to exercise.  It doesn't take the stress away, but I can wrap my head around it and plan for it.

Check out other Crystal Light Reviewers to enter the giveaway 6 more times!  Check out the rules for the giveaways, too!   If you would like to learn more about Crystal Light, you can learn more here

To enter the $100 Visa card giveaway, with you email included, leave a comment about how you handle stress on this post and other comments on my other Crystal Light posts that you can find the links on my Crystal Light Homepage .

22 comments:

Mami2jcn said...

I handle stress by walking away for a few minutes and catching my breath.

mami2jcn at gmail dot com

Bren said...

I handle stress by watching the Cosby Show and realizing how funny the stress in my life really is and that I could make a fortune if I wrote it into a screenplay!
sbchermak@hotmail.com

Jenny Aust said...

I handle stress by blogging and running. And talking to my wonderful friends on the phone. (ie Gianna!!!)

Btw, you look GREAT in your picture!

thecutiebug@gmail.com

Andrea said...

Lately I've been handling stress by taking a few minutes on the back step petting my dog. Or if it's really bad (and my hubby's home to watch the kids) I take the dog for a good fast walk.

Miss J said...

When I'm stressed, I try to handle it the right way by taking a breather, walking away, distracting myself with something fun. But I always end up throwing the first thing that's in front of me as hard as I can and then I feel all better. BTW, our dog now fears me.
lol.

Patrice said...

Reading and writing blogs has become a favorite form of relaxation for me.

Dana said...

I usually call my husband and then he gives me advice like, "You can do it! It's gonna be okay. Just knock it out!" It's not super helpful though :)

Anonymous said...

I handle stress through karate - I can fully control my body with basics and forms, and in sparring I get to work on letting go of the world around me to gain focus and intensity. Karate lets me learn new things to do with my body, overcome physical issues, and deal with feelings of a complete lack of control all at once.

Unknown said...

If I get stressed out I get out of the house and enjoy nature. A little sunshine and fresh air is great for that.

Anonymous said...

Just take a deep breath and spend time with my kids.

JC said...

Be alone and take a walk help me a lot.

Phyllis said...

One way I handle stress is to just leave everything behind and go shopping. Even if I don't buy anything ,looking at all that nice new pretty stuff is good for me and recharges my batteries.

Unknown said...

I handle my stress by finding something to laugh about (usually my kids are doing something worth a giggle). I also PLAY Volleyball!!!!! Of course, there is always chocolate, but I find that working out is a much better reliever of stress than chocolate. However, if you ask me if I wrote this post, I will emphatically deny it!

Jenny Aust said...

Taking a long walk with my hubby helps reduce my stress. He is my sounding board and my best friend.

librariane said...

I know what you mean--I've been drinking regular Pepsi every once in a while for the past couple of weeks, but notice the effects of so much high fructose corn syrup.

I need to get back into the flavored water habit!

Kaydee said...

I usually need to talk through the stress...so my poor coworkers or husband usually get to hear all about whatever the situation is. If its really bad, usually I need multiple listeners to help work it all out. Different points of view seem to help.

DG said...

I handle stress by taking walks three times a week with my favorite songs playlist!

dreamzz12{at}aol{dot}com

Unknown said...

I handle stress by going to another room away from the stress and take several deep breaths and try to relax.

Kristi said...

I like to go for a walk to destress.

kristisdeals1 at yahoo dot com

anonymous said...

I handle stress by walking and listening to relaxing music. If I can take a nap, that helps too. LPoser1 [at] gmail [dot] com

Just call me "B" said...

I go for a run!

Charley Burright said...

So that's how you handle your stress as a mom. But how dads like me handle stress? Well first, I jog around the village for at least 3-4 times a week. Then, I sleep for at least 8-10 hours every night. And as much as possible, I'll always keep a positive attitude towards life. If you keep yourself stress-free, then I'm sure that you'll be healthier and happier.